Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Lotus
Date/Time: Mon, June 19, 2000 at 5:24 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V4.0 using Macintosh PowerPC
Score: 5
Subject: .WEB gets my vote

I think .WEB is the obvious choice for the first new tld. It's universal, easily spoken, and makes sense--and any tld without these traits simply won't catch on and won't solve any problems.  .BANC, .FIRM, .STORE, etc. would only be suitable for a small percentage of websites, but .WEB works for anything.  .WS and .CC have proven that people won't settle for just anything. Nothing will ever match the prestige of .COM, but .WEB is the only one that has a chance of coming close.  And I think that taking away .WEB preregistrations would be completely senseless.  No, you can't get "business.web," but if you're registering a .WEB for legitimate purposes (you actually intend to use the domain) you can still secure a nice .WEB.  Many people whose .COMs were already taken have secured the .WEB name they want, and I just don't see any reason to take it away from them.  If preregistrations were cleared, the exact same domains would just be re-registered, so it wouldn't really solve anything, and I don't see any reason to punish those who had the foresight to preregister their .WEB. That's all for now; thanks for listening.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy