Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: bylander
Date/Time: Thu, June 22, 2000 at 6:52 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.61 using XWindows/Linux 2.2.12-20smp (Pentium Pro)
Score: 5
Subject: Need online post office plus yellow pages

I completely agree.  There are too many sites that legitimately can be called by the same name.  What is needed is an online addressing system analogous to the post office and the yellow pages.  Each site should be able to register under classified keywords (e.g., a keyword might be a trademark, city, country, company name, and so on), paying so much money per keyword.  To find the site, you need the online equivalent of a helpful telephone operator, who tells you if there are any ambiguities (more than one Mr. Smith) and gives the list of possibilities (if there are not too many).  Once you find a site, you can bookmark it or your browser can save it for future reference.

This would protect trademark holders, and allow others to register under the same keywords (but not as a trademark).  One disadvantage is a more time-consuming database lookup; I would solve this by allowing fees for registering keywords, but then the data is freely available, so that Yahoo or anybody else could have their own lookup engine.  Another disadvantage is that many companies have invested quite a bit in their current domain names; this would be mitigated by the fact that it would take some time to move to the new system.

I think it is a matter of time until some sensible worldwide addressing system with these features like these is going to happen.  Why not address the problem now?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy