Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Merlin
Date/Time: Sat, June 24, 2000 at 3:11 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.08 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Memoradum of Understanding/Thoughts and Questions

The url below is a link to a copy of the Memorandum of Understanding between The Dept of Commerce and ICANN in it's establishment.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/icann-memorandum.htm

What is really going on ICANN? Why has it taken two years thus far and recently I come to find that the July meeting will not be a final decision, as I understood it to be.
The government placed this in your hands as to avoid bureaucracy since the private sector has proven countless times to be more efficient at accomplishing goals in a timely manner. I can only offer my view from my perspective, which runs me the risk of being wrong to some degree, however as an Internet user during these times compels me to understand things since any actions will have there effects. I believe that ICANN needs to show much more leadership. I was embarrassed for you the day of a Network Solutions press release recommending. Banc and. shop to be chosen. The overwhelming impression it left on me had me ask. How dare they, it was insubordinate yet you never addressed it either because you didn't realize that it could be construed that way or perhaps you just can't be effective with NSI.

In line c. of section B. of the Memorandum of Understanding, as it relates to "Purpose"    
It states:
"Oversight of the policy for determining the circumstances under which new top level domains would be added to the root server"

Two years and counting, and now you propose to us 74 questions which
I wonder why it wasn't asked during the time of Working group B and C so that they might have benefited from the additional information. Did you consider that part of the public and perhaps even those who were in the working groups and had worked hard to come to a consensus might now see it potentially disregarded?

The proposal would have us think that some of your potential decisions are much to difficult, they don't need to be, here are two examples:

1. The Trademark lobby was appeased and then some, by passage of the Cybersquatting law, which leaves domain holders open to abuse by corporations. And still they pressure for more.
Should they be successful then the risk of forever altering our Trademark law into something they will themselves ultimately regret.

2. If the successful experience of diplomatically and technically working with so many  countries in the release of numerous ccTLD's doesn't answer many questions for you
in regard to the release of new TLD's  then what in the world will?

Everyone needs to come clean, we all must realize that each group, company, individual is motivated to a certain extent by self-interest. There has been too much of "praise my strengths and criticize my opposition weakness" that no one gets anything but the ones already in power and wanting it to stay that way. I can only hope in the end it will be generally considered that the outcome proved to be decent and fair to all.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy