Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: kevans
Date/Time: Tue, June 27, 2000 at 1:26 PM GMT (Tue, June 27, 2000 at 9:26 AM EDT)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Macintosh PowerPC
Score: 5
Subject: Something's rotten--and it's not in Denmark

At least two years ago, with trumpet flourishes and drum rolls, the gTLD Memorandum of Understanding was announced and a list of new top-level names was published. Originally, it was announced that the new names would be in use by the end of 1998, then by July 1999, then...nothing.

The ICANN Yokohama Topic paper that outlines the current proposal does not even mention the gTLD MOU--not even once in the background section! But only a year or so ago, seveal ISPs were taking reservations for the new names. Some were even charging a fee for adding names to their local application waiting list. There was supposed to be a procedure already approved to make the assignment of the new names fair and random so that all players would have a fair chance to register a desired name.

Now, it looks like all of that has been trashed. Worse, it's like ancient Egypt and a disgraced Pharoah: It appears that ICANN has erased the word MOU from all its public monuments and now considers it to be a non-word for something that they seem to want everyone to believe never existed.

Why? What is the advantage and for whom? There appeared to be a concensus for adopting .web, .store, .arts, .nom, etc.

I work in a government agency and I'm familiar (perhaps even comfortable) with a rather high level of bureaucracy, redtape, and delays. But this situation boggles even my jaded, technocrat mind.

Disgusted and disgruntled
BEvans    

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy