Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: skimming
Date/Time: Sun, July 2, 2000 at 5:04 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: where does it end?

From a technical perspective isn't it possible to make huge numbers of tld's.  Probably as many as you can make at the second level domain.  Isn't it also technically possible that all tlds could be consolidated under a new "supra" tld such that all naming just effectively drops a tier?  At the other extreme, isn't it also possible for those with second level domains to sell third level domain names?  I believe that some are effectively doing this now. So when does fairness in domain naming exist? Why do we need to level the playing field (temporarily) now?  I wonder about the lobbyists who favor adding lots of gtld's right now. From my limited knowledge about domains, it seems reasonable to consolidate all gTLDs into a one such as .reg, or perhaps just make them disappear altogether by consolidation into one registry. Although I don't have a practical solution for dealing with duplicated names between the gtlds, I like the idea of losing my few hundred dollar speculations on “.web” domain names in favor of never typing a .com, .org., .net, or .edu again. Why is that so bad? On the other hand, perhaps we should honor the pioneering spirit of those who got us to where we are now in this naming field and simply stop adding complexity forever.  What's wrong with that?  Competition will never go away and everytime a new tld or supra tld is added, people will get upset because some authority intervened in the free market to arbitrarily take value away from their assets. I suspect that many of those who favor lots of gtld’s are simply bellyaching about the fact that they didn't get a "good" .com name. They should simply congratulate those who saw the light in the early 90s and get on with life.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy