Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory Krajewski
Date/Time: Mon, July 3, 2000 at 5:18 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Opinions are only good if they are backed up!

I didn't think I would engage in this discussion of why or why not IOD and .web should come online...however I will digress for a second....It seems pretty clear that there is a lot of interest in IOD and .web....The only thing we must remember is that without comments and suggestion as to how IOD and .web should come online our words are, well...just words....I think VOR was on track to try and give a suggestion for how IOD and .web should come online...Does anyone else have any ideas????  I do...go to the following link (read WG-C paper http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/19991023.NCwgc-report.html#Position Paper C  This is exactly how they are going to role out the new domains.... dot web and IOD make a perfect fit...(in my view) so the the question will IOD get selected...again..read working group c paper and it would seemed to be all systems go...Now for the naysayers...I would like to appologize from the IOD contigent...YOU should be able to voice your opinions as well...believe or not none of us have the right answers...it's just who is ever closer to the truth...So if someone has a view point..don't go ballastic...although that is your right...it's just counter productive...plus those that go against your viewpoint has really no say in the process...as neither do we...UNLESS we give some ideas as to HOW to select a registry and what type of names should be uploaded....GET MY POINT....we have roughly 7 days left...Let's try and come up with a game plan....I really liked what Dr Mueller had to say (read below) and I liked what Working group C came up....Now for the contentious issues of the "pre-registrations".......When IOD got the go ahead from IANA, I believe that is when a lot of domain owners bought a .web for themselves (and I believe when Mr. Brittan did) and they have maintained them (since then 1996)...yes there are a few that bought recently however they hopefully did so after reading the FAQ section on the IOD page....This is no guarantee folks...I having been waiting a long time so that someday..just maybe my www.killer.web could be seen by millions (instead of some corp)....Yes we have people who have speculated on the IOD and CORE pages...just as you have had on the dot com's....Think about the types of items that get speculated on...they are worth money...land...tickets for major sporting events...it's the scarcity that drives the market...If ICANN would come out with at least 6 to 10 domain names...it really wouldn't matter if you owned a www.business.web...So just keep this in mind (ICANN)....Also someone asked whether or not CORE should be allowed to have their pre-registrations uploaded as wel...I would think they should be able to(if they time-stamped there registrations---first come first own policy)however if I am not mistaken...they took registrations thinking the original 7 domains (.shop, .art, .web, etc) were going to come out...they didn't....I know one CORE registrar still has an active page, but I don't think it's been updated since 1997...so the confidence factor is an issue there....IOD has been steady since 1996, was allowed to be a testbed (after IOD's suggestion--they proposed the idea to IANA to alleviate this predicament we are in now--the dot com glut) They have all the safety nets (adhere's to ICANN's domain abitration policies)...etc, etc...Well, enough is enough...Let's see what happens...and just remember to allow other opinions...if it seems us dot web folks are a little jumpy...well we kind of are...we have been patiently waiting and I hope we have the courtesy to wait just a little longer...Let's be productive in the fact that we need to suggest things to ICANN in a productive way...That is my motto..if you are going to spend the time to write something....have it mean something...GOOD DAY

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy