Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Crash999
Date/Time: Tue, July 4, 2000 at 2:29 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Preregistrations

I only recently learned of icann through a domain name dispute that brushed uncomfortably close to my domain name in its fury. And only just now have I learned of the preregistrations that have been taking place. Frankly, I'm quite shocked that this has been taking place.

I'm involved in international business and keep track of news through various journals, but I hadn't yet learned of these preregistrations taking place. From what I've learned so far, these suffixes are not assured to even be adopted. Thus the plot thickens. Let's say I'm promoting a web suffix, .sex for example. By myself I'm not a very strong force to push this through. However, if I can get several thousand people to preregister their domain names then I've got a fighting force of several thousand, all of whom have a vested interested in the suffix being accepted.

This certainly isn't in the best interest of the public. If the suffixes are approved and a roll-out date is set, what do you think the general public opinion is going to be when people realize that names have been grabbed already? I'm sure spiderweb.com (random example) will be very happy when they realize that spider.web has been reserved and isn't available anymore.

If those of you who preregistered think that there was enough publicity and people are just going to sit back and let it pass that this all took place without them knowing, you're dead wrong. However, you're doing what everyone in their right mind would to- seize an opportunity while it is still available. The fault lies with the decision to preregister names in the first place- a no doubt self-serving decision which will come back to haunt the decision makers.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy