Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Merlin
Date/Time: Tue, July 4, 2000 at 3:42 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.08 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Trademark Scenario?

Here is a hypothetical situation at this point that I think can become very real with the inclusion of new TLD's

The scenario: Using the competitive TLD .web as an example and the generic dictionary word Delta, which   is used by more than one large corporation. There are currently 104 records that relate to the word delta on www.marksonline and 3062 records shown at www.uspto.gov  

My first question is who should get it Delta Airlines or Delta faucets or perhaps one of the many others who may lay claim to it?

My real concern on this is for the individual or small business and to even a greater extent suppose someone registers Delta.web with the idea of a particular business in mind, and of course one which is not the same as any current trademark holder. Now let's add to this scenario the fact that for the first 6 months of delta.web's inclusion in the root server that there is no web page yet as the owner is preparing all aspects of his planned new business
Should this registrant of delta.web have his rights challenged ad perhaps lose his registration?

This is where I can see the unfair implications of current TM policy and the proposed inclusion of its even more sinister sunrise+20. In my opinion this would stifle any hope for people to start a new business.
If this continues it seems possible that whole dictionary will be off limits to the next generation. I know that sounds ridiculous, it is the point I am trying to get across.

I look forward to comments on this and solutions.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy