Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: hmg
Date/Time: Tue, July 4, 2000 at 2:28 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Trademarks and Domains

I have registered names for my customers, telling them "you better get it before someone else does"...some did not take me seriously saying "this isn't the year 2000 yet" (Back in 1998).

I knew there were other companies around the globe that could use that name. The only protection that their trademark offered was in the use of a logo, there are indeed several other companies with the same name operating out there today legally.

Anyone should be allowed to register a name and do whatever they want with it as long as they are not trying to represent an existing company, and logos are the means of identifying one from the other!

ICANN...stick with the basic trademark issues, the ones that were handed down at registration time. Trademarks and Domain Names are two different animals, if a company wishes to retain a domain name, let them pay for it..period.

A series of numbers and or letters in a url is NOT a trademark and never will be. Because you own a trademark does not give the right to own any and all domain names with your trademarked name in them.

Does the Ford Motor Company have the right to own *ford*.com, where the asterics represent other words? I think NOT, they don't even have the right to own ford.com unless they got there first or paid later.

If someone starts a site and uses the Ford Logo then they have a case, period, otherwise forget it.

I say get out of trademark business altogether!

Thank you for your time.      

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy