Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory Krajewski
Date/Time: Wed, July 5, 2000 at 12:51 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: DNSO did not listen to Working Group C -- IN my opinion

Even though The DNSO council meetings were closed, except if you wanted to phone in (long distance), we still could go on their website to get a feel for what went on....IN my judgement Working Group C was not heard which I felt had a rough to general consensus as to how many new TLD's should be uploaded...They were asking for 6 to 10...The DNSO felt their wasn't a consensus and decided to recommend only a few be uploaded...Is this group, DNSO, the decision making body (no), however it appears their word will be heard over the suggestion of working group c which worked as I understand it from July 1999 till it disbanded in April 2000 (I appreaciate the work you guys did by the way).... What is interesting is that this discussion board is pretty tame to the one they had--many passionate views, however I felt after reading most of their comments to each other that more than 2 domains needed to be uploaded (this again is my opinion, and since I wasn't a member I am only basing my opinion on the groups discussions left on their postings....So what needs to happen if in the future ICANN uses working groups, a decision needs to be made as to what quantifies a consensus...This will alleviate the appearance that the DNSO is somehow greatly influenced by the TM and big business constinuency.....In fact this really needs to be incorporated in all ICANN functions in set parameters need to be set before votes take place....It's almost like when you were a kid and you were choosing teams...you would write the number down on a piece of paper (first), then ask someone to choose a number from 1 to 100....Whomever got the closest to that number would be on the team...for proof all you needed to do was show everyone the number you wrote down...This alleviated the appearance of fraud and favoritism....Somethings haven't changed!     

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy