Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: friedrich
Date/Time: Wed, July 5, 2000 at 3:36 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: ICANN - we need a clear statement + immediate 1st-step-action and afterwards new discussions!

"The new gTLD should be something which will give the Internet sustatained relevance in the "eyes/brains" of the masses, even in the context of wireless/bandwidth technology." (cit. Nestor Requeno)

Even though the ideas of Nestor should be discussed, he makes exactly the same mistake as several other members of this forum: To give an opinion which will postpone decisions.

We now have to decide the first step AND give new input for a second step. The developement of the internet doesn't allow us to start discussions all over, before taking action.
Our experience concerning the internet was and is the opposite of what he states above and therefore there is no time to loose:

If you check the developement of the Internet: Could it have developed more rapidly into the masses than it did? If you just want to reach a further mass-developement, then you can quietly introduce as many utlds (new unrestricted gtlds) as possible - everybody on this earth will try to get a decent name to make his business and eventually some money with the domain names she/he registered.

But seriously:
If you are talking about an implementation plan, you are talking about another 1 -5 years talk and who knows where the internet will then be!

What we need is a clear statement of ICANN's, that there cannot be any trademark infringement on the domain name level, but just on the level of websites developed under the respective domain name. This takes 10 seconds.

Then we can implement some 6 - 10 new gtlds to the A-root servers (takes about 10 minutes) and 80% of the people here will be happy.

AFTER this we can discuss about your and my and xyz's proposels in detail (which will take another 10 - x months).

Of course I would like to see "r"-rgtlds and .reg rgtlds introduced into the system immediately and I would like to have every detail to be discussed beforehand, but it is simply not possible.

The internet is faster than we are and I cannot stop the whole process with my talks. It would be the worst solution to just let things go, while continuing to discuss without taking any action.

ICANN - We need a clear statement + immediate 1st-step-action and afterwards new discussions.
That's it. Now, go ahead, ICANN!
Don't let yourself be stopped and afterwards laughed at!

Regards,
Friedrich

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy