Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Nestor_DR
Date/Time: Wed, July 5, 2000 at 7:16 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: URGENCY IS THE OPERATIVE WORD

Dear Friedrich

We are not that far apart. On the contrary, I want to relate that I do see the urgency, based on what I sense through all these discussions, to proceed sooner rather than later with the gTLD (i.e., this is the "what" -- and if I get this right, this is the one first step you talk about).  I, myself, would not want to see a "slow-cook" kind of process on a Board action to "authorize the creation of an implementation plan (i.e., the "how") before the gTLD gets released.  Not doing this pre-implementation steps [before, during, or after ICANN authorizes the creation of "a" gTLD].  My point on the urgency is much like yours [e.g., on 5 July 2000 I wrote: . . ."The timeframe to do all of the pre-steps and next steps can still be accomplished within a few months", . . .].

My point is that if ICANN does not tie-up all the loose ends involved with this gTLD issue via the development of an gTLD Roll-Out Implementation Plan (which includes a benefit-cost analysis and an evaluation component, and the framework for the implementation) as agreed/adopted by all the stakeholders/players by the next quaterly meeting (i.e., October 2000) so that the gTLD can roll-out no later than by the end of this year (i.e., 2000), the roll-out may be (and the likelyhood for this is high but I qualify it as a "may") messy and too many things will be falling through the "cracks".

The implementation plan I propose should also include a strategy (e.g., the "global directory concept I proposed earlier) and a projection of revenues and projected allocations by unit of administration [i.e., ICANN, regions, ccTLD/nation-states, and targeted-sectors (businesses, users, advocacy groups, etc.)].   

Wouldn't you want to know the "how" ahead of time, rather than "ad-hoc" whereby if done "ad-hoc" one may have a hard time to "see where the ball is" and "who is doing what"?

My point is that this process and the outcomes sought ought to be made tranparent, participative/collaborative, and in the spirit of the delegated powers granted to ICANN. Urgency is one thing; doing things appropriately is another. Combining the two will require that ICANN acts efficiently, effectively, and responsively to the needs of the proponents in this forum and to the needs of the current and future Internet users.

In any event, as you say, the time to act is now! I would just add: let's do it "right" (or as right as it get by following time-tested / widely-accepted practices on things that affect the lives and the interests of many)!

Sincerely,

Nestor Requeno

Los Angeles, California USA

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy