Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: NatVendExp
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 4:26 AM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: New TLDs

Right now there are many endings .com, .cc, .TV and more.  There is no need to have any more TLDs.  Now you can Register up to 67 Characters.  I think it is unfair for a company to develop and promote a name, and then someone else can Register that same name with a different ending. The only winners will be the Domain Name Registration Companies, a good Domain Name would be registered by the Company that has the .com version if that company could register the Name before someone seeking to get free publicity for a developed Domain Name.  Example: Business.com spent a great deal of money obtaining and promoting Business.com, why should some unknown lucky enough to get Business.shop be allowed to receive that Name Recognition and be recognized by search engines without the the money or risk Business.com took.  This Internet is Capitalism at its greatest, do not dillute peoples' possessions.  New TLDs should not be rushed into existence, but should be put off indefinitely.  I would love to acquire Business.Web, .shop or many other fantastic Domain Names.  How do you determine who has the rights to get that Domain Name?  You can be sure that Business.com Wants the other Variations of TLDs. Can you imagine the confusion and unfairness when new TLDs become available?  If I owned a company and developed an Internet Presence I would upset if someone had the same name as me when a someone was using a search engine.  This can bankrupt the whole Fragile Internet.  Right now the internet is not the money maker most people think.  The only money makers right now are the Builders, WebMasters, Phone Companies, ISPs, and the Innovators.  Internet Retailers are in serious trouble and by introducing new TLDs to the Internet will surely put many companies out of Business. Take A wait and see attitude and use the Existing TLDs       

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy