Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jeffmarsh
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 4:54 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.73 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: UDRP

I personally can't wait until a UDRP decision is countered and disputed in a "real" court. I believe that true "cybersquatters" (that is, the morons who register TRADEMARKED names in an effort to sell them for a profit) deserve to have their domains taken away. However many domains are completely generic and have been taken away just because the person looked to sell them (in the PETA.org case, the owner didn't even look to sell the name!). Maybe PETA didn't like the fact that the site was being used as a parody but that's really too bad. As far as I am aware, parody is protected by the 1st amendment. I don't see how the domain was registered in bad faith according to the definition of bad faith in the UDRP.

As far as I'm concerned, many domains have been stolen by WIPO from valid domain owners. It is about time that somebody takes this to court.

As a side note, has anybody read the WIPO decision for eResolution.com (link below)? The really interesting thing about this case is that the company that brought the complaint (eResolution) is now one of the companies hired to handle some of the domain name disputes. So a company that is hired to solve these disputes wins the decision in its own dispute. Hmmm. Isn't this a conflict of interest?

Jeff

Link: eResolution.com Decision

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy