Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 5:44 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: UDRP

jeffmarsh writes:

>I believe that true "cybersquatters" (that is, the morons who register TRADEMARKED names in an effort to sell them for a profit) deserve to have their domains taken away.<

Agreed.

>Maybe PETA didn't like the fact that the site was being used as a parody but that's really too bad. As far as I am aware, parody is protected by the 1st amendment.<

From the montyroberts.org UDRP decision:

>Several federal court decisions have held in similar circumstances that use of a registered trademark in a domain name to attract Internet users to sites with competing or critical views to those of the trademark holder are not protected by rights of fair use because the competing trademark user is impermissibly taking advantage of the right holder’s interest in its mark. In each case, the court makes clear that the competing user is free to express its views in a forum established without exploitation of the mark holder’s rights.<

Still to come are numerous disputes involving TMnamesucks.com type sites. It will be interesting to see if they are transferred too. The case is available through the link below and makes interesting reading for other reasons. If you hyperlink to a commercial site then you're a commercial site? That has broad implications. Better not be using a free hosting company that puts a banner on your page. And what if you link to a free counter site that is a business? These rulings get more and more bizarre.

>As a side note, has anybody read the WIPO decision for eResolution.com. Isn't this a conflict of interest?<

Sure looked like it to me. But who is in a position to rule on such conflicts? They are a law unto themselves.

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked
Link: montyroberts.org

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy