Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: bond
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 5:19 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: TLD's needed, Orderly process required

The internet is intended to benefit society which includes those "users" that have a desire to obtain information, services, and products from the internet plus those who would like to benefit as a "provider" via the e-commerce option.

I think we can all agree that a resonalbe, concise, and product related domain name is almost a necessity for an e-commerce option that relies on the general public as a source of income. Of course there are exceptions to this, including those companies that can spent a lot of money in advertisement.

Additional gTLD's benefits both the "user" and the "provider" as ti will now allow because it will allow the user to have more options and it will also provide opportunites for those who desire e-commerce. 

The major concern I believe is how those domains will be distributed. The average "mom and pop" type family that desires, and in many cases are waiting, to purchase one of the new TLD's  does not stand a reasonable chance unless ICANN uses some creative thinking.

When the flood gates open and the average citizen is at home on his/her personal computer trying to purchase "ice cream.shop", our chances of buying it are minimal as we will be competing with mega dollar competitors, "cyber folks",  who will be buying the domains with sophisticated and fast equiptment micro seconds after the TLD's are available. If that's the case, the "mom and pop" type person is our of the picture, again and the domains become commodites to the highest bidder. Who benefits from the new TLD's the "cyber folks". The distrubution process may well be the "achilles heel" of the new TLD's if not handled effectively.

Therefore, I suggest some type of oderly, creative system for distribution of the new TLD's.Ideas include:
-A lottery system
- limit the number of domains to be purchased per month per person or organization
-limit the number of domains a person or organization can order.

I would suggest any reader with additional ideas to also post them for the benefit of ICANN.

Regards,

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy