Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jefsey
Date/Time: Mon, July 10, 2000 at 1:35 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: I (dis)agee

I "disagree". The registrants should chose the TLD label and the ICANN possibly propose not to accept it.

The entire qyestion is :
- TLD exist for technical/historical reasons
- they are a convenience for the users and the operators.
- they become a government tool for clarks who should serve the public but meet the temptation to rule the world.

Question : is the ICANN a service to the public and a forum, or an international authority and a parliament?

I favor the first response. I am sure most of the people agree but their "what ifs" give weight to the other approach. We would just say "no: we do not discuss, we jsut say there is nothing to discuss. TLDs are NOT an issue. The issue is the role of the ICANN which has mainly to do with IP numbering.

People believe that ICANN, TLDsn etc. come from the US Gov, from some authority, etc... No, they only come from you and me, accepting to use the alpha file. I am just a few figures away on my PC from thousands of (existing "illegal") TLDs [illegal on which legal grounds?]. I just have to change my PC configuration to make the net a real chaos. Let try to stop this if it becomes common knowledge that you may have some fun. Who is going to stop the ".free" or ".liberty" self established gTLDs? BTW this is the way internet works.

Also, I disagree about asking warrantis to organizations who would like to operate a TLD. Did someone asked a warranty to Bill Gates or to Apple's kids, or to Thomas Edison? Anyone can operate a TLD today, from home. For the friends. The risk is to the users.
What warranty ".com" is actually offering today with all the trade mark issues... You will not have them on ".hack" or ".pirate" !

Let the market decide! A TLD is just an entry in a file. Why making it something huge. Be sure that a few years from now people will laught at this hullabaloo. The only thing is to prevent organisations to take over tenths of TLDs and to limitate the industrial poperty issues.

Another point: domain names should be free. It should possible to sponsor TLDs too. They should also be for life : why do you want to renew Domain Names every year: is that the worldwide tax some people are pleading for? Do you have to make sure every year nobody takes your name?

Now some fun. What are TLDs, domain names, etc.. only aliases to the IP adresses managed through a common data base. 2 to 5 years from now everyone will be under IPv6. We will again have sub-hosts by their IP address. Do you think you will continue using TLDs that much?
-  your uncle Joe will be "Joe" on your bowser (do you call your dad "Mr. So and So" every time you talk to him)
-  your sister Helena will be "Hell" and "Lena" depending on the day
-  your Ford garage will be "Texaco" because he also sells gaz
-  your florist will be an icon with a flower.
-  and your grocer will be ".shop" for the fun of it, his true URL being "25thstreetgrocery.e-comm.org"

Do you realy disagree?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy