Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Mon, July 10, 2000 at 5:56 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: first mover

Gregory Krajewski writes:

>As I stated earlier if a gentlemen from France starts a ecommerce business Nice.web (NOT to be confused with Nice.net or Nice.com or Nice.TV---you get my point) after a successful year he hires 25 people, the business grows and he opens up shop in England and the US and hires, 200 more....<

Apart from the fact that nice.web could be confused with nice.whatever, the mere existence of a new name in a new domain won't create any economic activity (except for registrars). If the Nice gentleman has products or services he will presumably be out there selling them in some fashion even if it's a tripod address or thru ebay. If he waits for a name he will more likely fail in his endeavors, seems to me.

>that brand I wish to start is called www.killer.web<

This idea that if one only had the right .web name entered into the root they could be a success is one that has always struck me as backwards. One has a product or service, one markets it through available channels, if new channels appear one looks into using them. Not, one waits for a new channel which may never appear so as to offer a product or service. This has always been true and is even more true with the frenzied pace of the internet. Your example is a good one. There are at least 25 sLDs including the string killerweb registered in gTLDs and ccTLDs. How many of those have been registered while you've been waiting (or do you own one or more of them?). You don't unfortunately seem to own killerweb.com which appears to already be fairly well branded.

Please do not construe my comments as not wishing you every success in your endeavors.

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy