Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Mon, July 10, 2000 at 6:15 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: misunderstanding

friedrich writes:

>If so, people would already confuse nice.com with nice.net with nice.org. But they don't.<

That kind of blanket statement can't be supported. It is likely that some do. Have you never made such a mistake yourself? I certainly have on numerous occasions. Some sites intentionally try to create such confusion. That the entire body of net users is never confused by such is quite a generalization. There is a slashdot.com.

>DOT COM owners shouldn't be treated like holy entities. Why should they get a preregistration chance with new gtlds that others don't?<

I don't know where you're getting this from. I don't recall suggesting that dotcom owners get a pre-registration chance. I've written here in opposition to Sunrise and Daybreak for example. In the case of a voluntary migration to a .sex domain (which I think we agree on) I can see allowing existing sites to pre-register their names, but pointed out previously that there may be competition between separately owned xxxx.com/net/org owners. I did not speak out in favor of the .com owner over the net/org owners in that situation either. In the case of closed .reg TLD(s) which I think we also largely agree on, I can see existing owners having first rights, but for there to be a collision this implies that there would be a yahoo.com and .net with two different owners who both have valid claims to yahoo.search. I don't think that will happen. If it does it is up to the chartered group to deal with it and I wouldn't presume to be involved unless I had a valid interest.

>Or do you want so create a class system in the internet, with the dot com owners on top?<

I do want a class system for the internet, I want a general principle that what is to the left of the dot is the name of a site and what is to the right of a dot is the class. Eg's: sitename.union, sitename.adult, sitename.museum, sitename.airline. Perhaps those which are .reg domains should have that specified as sitename.airline.reg or sitename.rairline, or it can be shown in some other fashion (like the key or lock that shows you you are on a secure server). I'm sure that given these general principles which we seem to agree upon, better minds than ours can work out an acceptable elegant solution providing the will is there. ICANN needs to show leadership in this area.

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy