Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Mon, July 10, 2000 at 7:10 AM GMT (Mon, July 10, 2000 at 3:10 AM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: New TLD's, TM's, WIPO and UDRP

I deliberately waited until the last minute to post because I knew that there would be those who could and would state my opinions as well, if not better, than I could.  I was correct.

First, let me say that Dr. Mueller's answers were right on target.  There is no reason to restrict the introduction to new gTLDs.  It may dilute some value to the .com's, but not really in the long haul.  Just as in the 800 vanity numbers, the .coms will retain great value, if only because people are used to them.  Even if they are somewhat devalued, they will still be quite viable.  Those who are speculating in names will simply add to their inventory in the new gTLD's. 

Also, keep in mind that speculation is not illegal.  If it were, then real estate agents would fill our prisons, as would those who purchase a rental home or a piece of land hoping to sell and retire on the increased value at age 65.

I am truly tired of the misuse of the terms "cybersquatting" and "bad faith" by WIPO and the TM lobby.  The intent of the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (for which there is no consumer protection) was to stop those who would register a known trademark as a domain name and attempt to resell it to the mark holder for a greatly inflated price (extortion).  It has been perverted to include any person who would register a domain name, not use it immediately, advertise it for resale, or even include a trademark as part of the name.  The TM lobby (WIPO influenced) would love to disallow any trademark from being included in any name, thus preventing the use of just about any word in the English language from being used in a domain name.  Example (from a WG-B post) tenNISSANyone.com would be a target under this proposal.  In fact, such cases exist under UDRP with negative results.

"Bad Faith" has been perverted to include simply registering a name, period. 

Even the existing anticybersquatting law has been perverted by UDRP arbitrators, who have set precedents outside the law and have ordered transfer of names to complainants when the name is purely generic and there has been no infringement.  They have perverted the term dilution.  It is a disgrace.  The net result is a complete mistrust of the UDRP and ICANN's policies.

The agreements between ICANN and registrars hold the registrars hostage to enforce the UDRP and include agreements of adhesion.  They must do this because they also are required to sign such agreements and must protect themselves.  Also a disgrace.

The ICANN board seated itself when Mr. Postel passed away in the middle of the organization of ICANN.  These "nominees" decided among themselves to seat themselves as the interim board, thus circumventing any other means of selecting directors.  The present makeup of the board is weighted heavily on the side of the TM lobby and it shows.

Yes, we should introduce some new gTLD's and they should be open to all on a first come, first served basis, just as the DNS was intended to function.  For those who have the foresight and means to take a chance on the new TLD's, great.  Go for it.  For those who choose to wait, take your chances on not getting the name you want without having to purchase it from someone who got it first.

For trademark holders, there is no way the trademark model fits into the internet model due to the unique name constraint and multiple identical trademarks.  In addition, we are dealing with largely country specific laws in a global internet environment.  It just does not work.  IMO, the best ICANN could do is provide a closed TLD (.reg, .mark, .tmk,...) and let the TM holders duke it out.  In doing so, there would be no infringement challenges allowed in the gTLD's, period, except for truly obvious duplications such as coca-cola, pepsicola, etc.  Names like Ford, MacDonalds, and multiple marks would not apply.  Use of parody names are not illegal and should never be the subject of challenge.  The inclusion of a TM in a series of generic words is not and should not be construed as an infringement, confusing or dilutive, as has been done by the UDRP.

There is also nothing illegal about "warehousing" names either.  Major corporations do it all the time.  It seems that WIPO only considers it hoarding when it is an individual or small business registering multiple names.  I find that interesting, but typical.  At least speculators are returning the names to the marketplace while the major corps are simply preventing anyone from using them.  Either way, it is not illegal.

The arbitration process, if it is kept at all, should be entirely re-written.  At the very least it must be make equitable for both sides in selecting the arbitrator, appeal process, etc.  If it cannot be re-done, then abolish it and start over.

If ICANN continues to operate as an extra legal body, which is against it's mandate, then I question whether it is in breach of its agreement with the USG.  If so, it can and should be terminated.

The introduction of new TLDs is one crucial measure by which we, the at-large community can make our decisions. 

I, personally, do not think we really need new gTLD's, but recognize that the majority of the community feels the need to have them.  I will concede to the majority, as I do not feel it can do any harm.  The internet community will adapt to as many new names and TLD's as appear in the registry.

We must all realize that as the internet evolves, there will be massive changes and we will all adapt to them.  Most people now realize that a domain name does not necessarily match a company name, and that the site content is more at issue.  Banners and icons have more recognition than the names themselves.  If we don't find a match in .com, we automatically look in the other tld's.  Search engines are using Titles, descriptions, meta tags, etc. to find sites.  More and more, there will be different methods of branding.  We need to get away from the IP aspect of domain names.  They are simple locators - easier to remember than a series of numbers.

If ICANN continues down the road they seem to have chosen, we will all be in a situation described by Judith Oppenheimer in her satire, "Cyber HQ - The New Imperialism."  It describes an era, not too far from now, where the corporations own the internet and netizens are oppressed.  Don't think so?  Read the editorial.

There WILL be new gTLD's.  For those who are not in favor, suck it up.  We're outnumbered.  I say, welcome the challenge!  It could be fun.  For those who are so concerned about the registrars making money, I say so what?  It's a new industry.  People are entitled to free enterprise.  Let them make millions - as long as they don't penalize or gauge us.  It is not inexpensive to set up and meet the requirements to become a registrar.  If they are willing to take the risk, good for them as entrepreneurs.

In the meantime, the at-large membership must band together and become one loud voice.  Civil discourse is good, but divisiveness is not.  On some issues, we must all agree to disagree, but form a consensus and vote that way.  The IPC (TM lobby and WIPO) have done so and, therefore, have control. 

Take part in whatever elections are available and strive to find others to join and make their voices heard as well.  There is little time.

I hope you have all pre registered to participate in the limited web cast meetings in Yokohama.  If not, there may still be time to do so.  Even if ICANN ignores us now, there will be other elections and meetings in which we can participate.  If there is little response from the internet community, they can say we don't care and have numbers to prove it.

Be smart.  Join together as a cohesive group.

Link: The TLD Lobby

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy