Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: 410
Date/Time: Mon, July 10, 2000 at 3:40 PM GMT (Mon, July 10, 2000 at 10:40 AM EST)
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Nonsense

<<<  Wouldn't Business.biz be so similar to Business.com that it would be easy for a consumer to confuse the two? >>>>>>

Apart from the generic name that is the same, the services and products on each of the 2 sites you mention could be entirely different, making there be NO confusion.

The word "confusion" is used TOO much as it relates to the Internet. If a person is confused by what a site offers, and how it is distinct from another site's offering, I find that pathetic.

Furthermore, where similar products and services are concerned: it is called "competition."

That is like saying that 2 grocery stores can't cohabitate on the same city block--that it will cause consumer confusion, and isn't fair to the store that was there first.

With all due respect, nonsense.

Firstly, as I said--the products and services might be different. And if they are similar, let the consumer decide, and use his intelligence enough to NOT be confused.

<<< Why should we create a system that allows the company that paid millions for business.com to have competition from a new confusing domain that cost the competitor $70 or less to register? >>>>

The company that bought business.com did not buy it through a registrar, who then sold the domain Business.biz to a competitor for 70 bucks. THEN you might have a case of unfairness.

The company that bought business.com bought it from its previous owner, in a deal they made amongst themselves.

That deal does not and should not dictate policy regarding the entrance of new TLDs.

Furthermore, we are talking about the inclusion of just a few more competitors INSOFAR as domain recognition is concerned. It is still up to the respective businesses to actually provide TANGIBLE competition with their counterparts in the other TLDs, if their products and services ARE the similar.

<<< Think of all of the hits business.biz will get that started out to go to business.com. >>>

OKAY. It is called PROVIDING OPPORTUNITIES TO MORE PLAYERS, not enabling a monopoly, so to speak.

<<< That certainly seems like a case for trademark violation to me. >>>

How? Because the generic domain name is the same? Please. Then eBusiness.com is in violation of the trademark of Business.com, because it tacked on an "e."

This is not a question of trademarks--because for one thing, a domain name is not necessarily a business name. I can own the domain Books.com, and my business that runs it could be called Aliens From Outer Space, Inc.

<<< My feeling is that we will be creating more confusion rather than fostering healthy competition, and that is simply wrong. >>>>

Confusion, confusion, confusion. That word has come to mean nothing insofar as the Internet is concerned. If you go to Business.com and browse their site, and then go to Business.biz and browse THEIR site, and see two distinct sites and get confused. . . OH WELL. I wouldn't.

Competition IS forwarded when you provide additional domains of equal simplicity, recognition, and generic construction.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy