Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: 410
Date/Time: Mon, July 10, 2000 at 4:12 PM GMT (Mon, July 10, 2000 at 11:12 AM EST)
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: You know. . .

<<<  Wouldn't Business.biz be so similar to Business.com that it would be easy for a consumer to confuse the two? >>

You know, I am not going to let this one slide. This claim has been made CONSTANTLY by dissenters of new TLDs.

Kindly spell out the profound confusion that would result by having a books.com, books.net, books.org, books.web, books.store, books.art, books.info.

In what way is the consumer damaged or confused so much that he or she shuts the computer off and goes to bed?

If you mean that the consumer will say, "Gee--I don't remember which site I saw so-and-so on" . . . OKAY. They will deal with it. Personally, I think it causes consumer confusion to have 16 billion domain that look like this: BooksStuffandStuffInCyberspace.com. THAT reality causes confusion, because there is no simplicity in the SLD.

If a person forgets if he saw a particular discussion or site feature in Books.com or Books.net or Books.web--he will . . . just have to retrace his steps and FIND the info again.

Do we get rid of singular SLDs because the consumer might get temporarily confused between Books.com and Book.com?

Consider the Internet a vast Yellow Pages. . . And the domain name is the category name. (Though this is not perfectly analogous.)

Would you demand that there be only one or two businesses listed under each of the Yellow Pages Categories--because more than that will confuse the consumer?

I am not letting you off the hook. You made a broad statement without offering an iota of substantiation. Kindly now address the question in way that is profound enough to warrant ditching the inclusion of new TLDs.

HOW will the consumer be incurably confused? Please don't answer with illustrations of minor, normal every-day confusion that can be sorted out.

Detail the kind of confusion that warrants killing new TLDs before they come to the Internet.

Let's put this "confusion" thing to rest once and for all; let's move beyond the mantra the phrase "consumer confusion" has become, and show things for what they are.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy