New sTLD's put on hold.
  • To: <forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: New sTLD's put on hold.
  • From: "Peter Bennett" <bencom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:17:40 -0700
  • Reply-by: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 18:08:00 -0700

All consideration of any new domain names should be put on hold until
the underlying issue of true and correct whois data and the policing and
actioning of such is addressed!

I do not beleive that ICANN should be moving forward until unresolved
issues are dealt with.

I do not object to sTLD's in any form however I do want to press forward
the unresolved issues and current abuse of recently created domains with
those considering new domains.

Rogue service providers and registrars have rendered the new .biz
domain name unusable.

I for one would not register a .biz domain name. It would most likely
interfer with normal business and not add anything to the owners
credability. In fact in my opinion if faced with dealing with the owner
of a .biz domain name I would point out the error of his ways as follows.

(1) It is now littered with falsely registered domain names and
spamvertised web sites.

(2) Anti-spam activists consider all .biz domains to be associated with
a spamvertised web site.

(3) It is a prime candidate for email blocking and I know of system
administrators who do block all email linked to a .biz domain name.
The rational. I have no clients that deal with .biz domain names
and have had no complaints of clients being unable to communicate with
.biz domains. All email with .biz content relates to a spamvertised web
site.

Clean up the mess before starting something new.
Do your research and validate what I say is true and correct.
All the evidence is there on web sites like spamcop, spamhaus
and many others. Ask the operators and those involved in spam related
news groups what they think of .biz domains.

You can beleive that all the good work that people put into creating the
.biz TLD has been undone in a matter of months. I am not saying it is
going to happen here with sTLD's and the call to put the process on hold
is an extreme one and not expected to happen however you who are
involved in inacting this are also involved in other ICANN issues that
relate directly to the issue I have pointed out.

It is an ongoing battle just to get ICANN to action complaints of non
compliance with the existing infrastructure. I could go on and on about
this one and sight numerous instances for which I have evidence. Why
should I have to constantly email Vinton Cerf and Dan Halloran about
issues that I beleive ICANN has a responsibility to police. I am talking
here of the failure of registrars to action complaints of false whois
data in a proper and timely manner as attested to by the recent formal
warning given to Network Solutions. The practise of registrars sending
complainants garbage or worse still advertising there services has got
to stop. To get my point across read the email source included at the
end. All thats required is a ticket number and proper actioning of the
complaint.

Whois was not set up for registrars to abuse at will. It is meant to be
the primary mechanism to keep the net under control. It has slipped into
total disrepair and registrars are overwhelmed with complaints for the
simple reason that ICANN has never policed policy properly.

Now that the scale and type of internet abuse has esculated and I sight
attacks on blocking lists, viral propagation that is rumoured to be
associated with spam and the formation of new alliances umongst groups
of convicted Internet abusers mean that this little topic is going to
pop up everywere. Vinton called it a Jihad. I do not like this term.
It is out and out war and the next offensive by those who would see the
internet and peoples inboxes full of junk and outright illegal activity
is just beginning.