Re: [alac] Various
  • To: <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Various
  • From: "Sebastian Ricciardi" <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:45:38 -0700
  • Cc: <forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: <owner-alac@xxxxxxxxx>

I didn't mean to make any "formal proposition" (yet). Just a stronger
statement in advocacy of user privacy rights.

Anyway, can somebody here explain me why is WHOIS service so critical for
the "health" of the Internet ?

I have a couple of  questions in process (I have not submitted to the WHOIS
list YET) :

1./ Is WHOIS a critical service? Why?
2./ Does it need to be public?
3./ There might be a thousand technical ways to limit port 43 access. Why is
this still an issue ?
4./ Are we agree on the principle that user privacy should be protected?
What are the limits of the privacy rights of the individual user?
5./ Wouldn't be better if the registrar keep the information (at least a
part of it, i.e. e-mail address and telephone number) safe and bring it to
an interested party in a need to know basis?

Regards,

Sebastian