Congratulations to ISOC
  • To: <org-eval@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Congratulations to ISOC
  • From: "Karen Elizaga" <karen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:58:17 +0100

Global Name Registry would like to congratulate the Internet Society on their
selection by the ICANN Board of Directors as the successor operator of the
.org registry.  Given the importance of this top-level domain, we recognize
that the ICANN Staff and Board had a difficult challenge before it, and we
commend them for their hard work and commitment to this challenge.

As we have stated throughout the application and evaluation process, we realize
that our competition in this process was strong, and we are pleased that ICANN
had before it a number of qualified applicants from which to make its choice.
That so many applicants made such a strong showing is a testament to the evolution
of the registry services industry and to the dedication of ICANN to that
continued evolution.

Notwithstanding ICANN's decision, Global Name Registry remains committed to the
success of .org, particularly to its smooth transition and to the creation of a
unique top-level domain space for non-commercial entities.  We stand ready to
provide any assistance to the new registry operator, or to ICANN, in realizing
the full potential of the .org namespace.

Karen Elizaga
Vice President - Policy
Global Name Registry
125 High Holborn