Oracle Comment
  • To: org-eval@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Oracle Comment
  • From: jenny gelhausen <jenny.gelhausen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 20:06:56 -0400

Mr. Louis Touton,

In reference to discussion at url
http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/questions-to-applicants-13.htm  This is a
comment from Oracle Corporation regarding the use of database technology
in the .org registry.

PostgreSQL, like many other open source database products, has been in
the market for many years with very little adoption.  Unlike the
open-source operating system market, the open-source database market has
been unsuccessful due to the complexity of customer requirements and
sophistication of the technology needed.  PostgreSQL is used primarily
in the embedded system market because it lacks the transactional
features, high availability, security and manageability of any
commercial enterprise database.

The primary technical feature of PostgreSQL is as an open source
extended-RDBMS that supports object type system requirements such as
inheritance.  Oracle's Object-Relational Technology has gone far beyond
object-to-relational mapping. Since Oracle8i, we have provided an object
type system inside the database server with SQL-99 standard-based
support of user-defined types, REFs, Object IDs, and collections (i.e.,
VARRAY, NESTED TABLE).  Our user-defined types allow users to model
real- world objects with their  attributes and methods (in Java, PL/SQL,
or C/C++). Oracle also provides flexibility of object storage with
object tables and object views.  A differentiating strength of Oracle's
Object-Relational Technology from open-source providers, such as
PostGresSQL, is our extensive language APIs (e.g., Java - JDBC, C++
-Oracle C++ Call Interface, C - OCI, XML - XML SQL, Visual Basic - OO4O,
Pro*C/C++).

With the Oracle9i Database release, Oracle introduced inheritance,
multi-level collections, type evolution, and their corresponding
language APIs, we feel we have reached a very important milestone which
we call model completeness (one-to-one mapping of object model
constructs) and operational completeness (support of language APIs, and
utilities such as export/import, SQL*Loader, etc.).  Oracle has closed
the gap between the object and the relational world by extending our
RDBMS to become an ORDBMS (object-Relational DBMS).

While there is a place in the industry for open source software.  It
will be many years, if ever, that an open source database matches
Oracle's database technology for the availability, standards support,
performance, manageability, security, application support, and stability
that most real-world business applications require.

thank you.
Jenny Gelhausen
Oracle Marketing
650-506-8057