ISOC's response to Oracle
  • To: org-eval@xxxxxxxxx, Louis Touton <touton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ISOC's response to Oracle
  • From: "Lynn St.Amour" <st.amour@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:38:52 +0200
  • Cc: Hal Lubsen <hlubsen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Louis,

Please find below a comment from ISOC in response to a posting
from Oracle in the Public Forum under: Technical Evaluation Report by
Gartner, Inc.

We would appreciate it if you would post this in response.

Thank you and regards,

Lynn

RE:  Oracle comment

We would like to respond to the note from Jenny Gelhausen of Oracle
marketing regarding the use of database technology in the .ORG
registry.

We believe that the key point relating to databases for the .ORG
redelegation is not which database the operator is using, but,
rather, whether the database will support the .ORG registry in a
stable, scalable, and highly available manner.

Afilias has over a year of experience running a large scale gTLD
registry--the .INFO registry.  This direct experience, the load &
stress tests conducted by Afilias (and listed in our proposal
<http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/applications/isoc/section3.html#c17.10>),
and Afilias' compliance with ICANN's service level requirements clearly
demonstrate that the PostgreSQL database used by Afilias performs
at the level of reliability and availability required for the
mission critical operations of a global gTLD registry.

Further, the actual operating performance record of Afilias compares
very favorably to the records of the other .ORG applicants, many of
whom use commercial databases. A review of each bidder.s answers to
Question 14 <http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/questions-to-applicants-14.htm>
illustrates the kind of hard data and real world registry experience
that ICANN is basing its decision on.  Afilias has delivered this level
of performance based in part on its stable, reliable database, PostgreSQL.

The successful operation of a registry extends beyond simply which
database software is in use.  It also requires a skilled operating staff
with the ability to design and implement reliable systems as well as
establish clearly defined resolution paths should problems occur.
Afilias' solid operating performance lends support to the claims in our
.ORG proposal regarding our ability to effectively manage the .ORG domain.

We do not take issue with the recitation of the many features and
benefits of Oracle's products.  However, any suggestion that PostgreSQL
is unsuited for registry use is in direct contradiction to the facts.

Afilias has built a stable, well functioning registry platform that
meets ICANN's performance requirements for .ORG as detailed by the RFP.
The combination of Afilias' experienced staff, robust systems architecture
and scalable, reliable database has delivered performance that proves the
viability of our approach in a large-scale registry application.  It is
this real world registry experience and the hard data that it has
provided that leads us to support Afilias. decision to use the same
database for .ORG, should, of course, our bid be selected.

If we can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact
us.

Sincerely,

Lynn St. Amour
President & CEO