Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: len.cohen
Date/Time: Tue, May 30, 2000 at 12:58 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Self Nomination rules

1. Rule 4 will publish the email address of all candidates.  There is no reason for this and it should be removed, as for physical addreass and phone number.       
2.  Rule 9 requires support by 10% of eligible voters to get on the ballot.  This is a very large requirement merely to appear on the ballot.  This support could win an election in a low turnout constituency.  A requirement for 5% or 100 members, whichever is the lower would widen the potential candidates.
3.  Equating citizenship, geography and representation is ill conceived.  Geography, based on physical address may suffice.  I, for example, am a US citizen who has lived and worked in Europe, mainly the UK, for about 30 years.  The current rules would have me stand for North America, where I have no constituency.
4.  The timescales seem very short with little time for comments or revisions.  ICANN, perhaps for good reasons, seems to take ages to do anything (I've been awating a PIN for 3 months) and then feels compelled to complete an action quickly to avoid accusations of laziness or dilatory action or whatever.  Draw up sensible timetables and stick to them and try to be less driven by people who want to be in control.  Is returning to anarchy an option?
Regards, Len Cohen

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy