Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: katsuey
Date/Time: Wed, May 31, 2000 at 4:43 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Proposed Rules for "Self-Nomination"

I am in agreement with the majority of posters.  I see no reason to have different rules and different names for Board Nominated and "Self-Nominated".  I believe all candidates should be merely listed as candidates, without preference as to how they got on the ballot.

I also agree that 10% support is a stumbling block to ensure there is little choice (if any) in nonboard nominated candidates.  This is plain wrong.  The same is true about the campaigning period. If you want candidates from a completely open forum, let's give them a fighting chance to win without stacking the deck against them by the labels and requirements.  All candidates should have exactly the same requirements.

I am also real confused with the requirement for support from members of at least 2 countries since you have indicated that voting may only take place from within the voter's region.  Isn't this then like asking people to have a say in candidates for a district they are not even authorized to vote in? Couldn't this even cause an undesired bias? As an example: Should I as a US citizen have the right to have a say in who makes the ballot for a Canadian election even though I can't even vote in a Canadian election? I don't think so.

The only way ICANN is going to have a true cross section of the public as representatives on the board is to show all people who wish to be a part of this process the same respect, under the same rules and requirements.

If, for example, board selected candidates are selected on the basis of education, training and credentials, make this the same type of selection process for "self-nominated" candidates, such as "self-nominated" must submit credentials showing experience in Internet related industry (which can come from hosting a website, building websites, creating programing, etc.) if this is a criteria used to select board nominated candidates.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy