Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cory
Date/Time: Thu, June 1, 2000 at 3:46 AM GMT (Wed, May 31, 2000 at 11:46 PM EDT)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.72 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: Re: Proposed Rules for

>I am also real confused with the requirement for support from
>members of at least 2 countries since you have indicated that voting
>may only take place from within the voter's region.  Isn't this then
>like asking people to have a say in candidates for a district they
>are not even authorized to vote in? Couldn't this even cause an
>undesired bias? As an example: Should I as a US citizen have the
>right to have a say in who makes the ballot for a Canadian election
>even though I can't even vote in a Canadian election? I don't think
>so.

I think you're misundertsnding/misreading it. According to the regions given, Canada and the USA together form the North American region, and it is from this region that a memebr is nominated - not from just Canada and from just the USA. Perhpas in the future, when the Internet becomes truly global we'll have per-country nominations, but as of yet you won't be voting in a "Canadian" election so thus the question of your citizenship is a moot point.

In this case, the 2 country minimum for the base of supporters insures that none of the people on the ballot from this region could be Americans without Canadian support (or vice versa). This works to assure a broader inital base of acceptance for any nominee

As has been noted in at least one other post, some of the these very broad regions have limited penetration in terms of significant Internet users (and therfore ICANN@Large members) and that in all of them ICANN@Large membership is extremely dominated by only 1 country. The North American region is the only one made up of only 2 countries,  so the 2 country rule works well there. The European region, in spite of domination by German members, has enough diversity beyond that to do OK with that minimum because the nominees are more likely to be from all across Europe (thanks to extensive Internet penetration). The other 3 areas - Africa, Asia/Pacific, Latin Americ/Carribean, on the other hand, are, IMNSHO not as likely as Europe to get nominees outside their ICANN-dominating countries. In the Asia/Pacific region, for example, it is too easy to have all the ballotted nominees to be from Australia and Japan. In Latin America/Carribean it would Mexico and Brazil. In these 3 regions I am thinking it would be better to up the minimum country support to 3 or even 4.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy