Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: gareth
Date/Time: Thu, June 1, 2000 at 2:46 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.04 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: How to please everyone ...

Hi,

There is a cliché used in democracy and politics that 'you can't please all the people all of the time', and in the At Large membership we see a potential electorate (and initial candidature) of millions. The ICANN board is right to be concerned about this, and has attempted to control this by giving the Election Committee a remit that is clear in its aims - and I appreciate a chance to comment on the draft rules for self-nomination.

Like many At Large members who have already commented in the forum, I would have appreciated more time (I live in London England - and only received my PIN this morning - 1st June!), but I understand the importance of keeping the momentum going (to prevent the whole process from being choked)

However, the board should consider:

a) It is possible that no candidate could receive 10% of the vote; systems of transferable votes (AV, STV IRV) are designed to accommodate large ballots and still return a majority candidate.

b) The notion of 'nation' sits uncomfortably with many At Large members who see themselves as global citizens. While I can understand the need to ensure nominations from all corners of the globe the At Large membership should be able to elect the most suitable candidate, irrespective of their origin.

c) Many At Large members would like the NomCom to be more transparent, do they, for example, already have candidates in mind? Also, people close to the organisation will *already* have access to the committee members (and could be actively lobbying them now).

Thanks for your time
Gareth Ashley LLB

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy