Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Patricia
Date/Time: Thu, June 8, 2000 at 3:55 PM GMT
Score: 5
Subject: Re: Candiate info

In my view, the only way the NomCom's nominees will have an advantage is if they are excellent candidates.  All candidates (NomCom nominees and self-nominated candidates) will be treated exactly the same with regard to campaigning.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what makes an "excellent candidate"?

>How is one to learn about all of the candidates and
>form an opinion as to whom to support, in such a short
>time?  Being an American, I mistrust politicians and
>campaign rhetoric in general.  I suggest that instead
>of "campaigning", the candidates should write an essay
>on what being elected means to them, and what they feel
>is their single weakest point.

My general idea for campaigning is that each candidate will be given a web page, which will include basic information about the candidate, along with a campaign statement and responses to particular questions (which would be posed to all candidates equally.  What kinds of questions do you think should be asked?  Specific questions about technical policy areas?  General questions about personality and judgment?

To be honest, I am not at all sure just what it is the elected candidates will be doing.  I became an ICANN At-Large Member to learn more about the whole thing.  I am intrigued by the idea that the Internet could be the best thing that ever happened to mankind, and I would like to help make it so!

I do not know what "policies" exist now, so I am unable to phrase any questions, or even to evaluate any answers that might be given.  Furthermore, my technological knowledge is stricly from the end-user point of view, gained largely through my experience as an anti-spammer.  My suggestion (for the candidates to write an essay about what being elected would mean to them, and about what they feel is their weakest point), is just an attempt to devise a measure of the individual person, apart from the policy and technical areas.    

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy