Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Andrew McLaughlin
Date/Time: Mon, June 5, 2000 at 2:53 AM GMT (Sun, June 4, 2000 at 10:53 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Disparate treatment?

>I would find it very helpful if the Committee
>would publish its rationale for disparate treatment
>of the two groups before the rules are voted on.  

I guess I don't see the disparate treatment.  Under the basic election structure that's been set in motion, there are two ways to get onto the ballot (NomCom nomination;  and self-nomination).  Once on the ballot, all candidates will be treated exactly the same:  they have the same rights to post information and to campaign over the same period of time;  they'll appear on the same ballot in the same way.

The two avenues to the ballot are intended to effect a basic compromise rooted in the fact that ICANN is a technical coordinating body, not a government.  The job of the NomCom is to put forward a set of excellent nominees.  In order to keep the process open, candidates not chosen by the NomCom can get onto the ballot, if they are supported by some appreciable number of At Large members.

>To all appearances the Committee has decided to impose
>on Self-Nominees the burden of demonstrating their base
>of support  --- by getting 10% of their region's At Large
>Members, who in turn are permitted to endorse only one
candidate -- on the grounds that Self-Nominees should
>demonstrate their viability as candidates, unlike Nominated
>Candidates who can safely be presumed to have substantial support
>already.  But I'm just assuming this was the reasoning.

You're basically right about the reasoning, but not about the source.  The proposed rules do not come from any committee, but from the ICANN staff, giving effect to the resolutions of the ICANN Board in Cairo (see the link below).  The Board called for two different avenues of access to the ballot, specifying a Nominating Committee and "a petition process for additional nominations from the At Large membership that meet certain minimum qualifying criteria..."

Andrew McLaughlin
ICANN
Link: ICANN Board's Cairo resolutions on At Large election

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy