Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Dennis
Date/Time: Mon, June 5, 2000 at 10:39 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: Disparate ... or just too close for comfort?

Thanks for the thought-provoking reply to my comments.  At the risk of
'clarifying' my message till it turns to mush ...

I don't disagree in principle with the existence of two ways to get on the ballot. I don't even object in principle  to the idea that  inclusiveness and quality of representation might justify 'separate'  treatment.

I really have only 2 concerns.  The first is that where a separate track is established for any purpose, I believe ICANN should take extra care to explain the necessity for it, and identify the intended relationship between the separate entities.

While I agree with you that ICANN is not a government, I don't agree that ICANN is "merely" a technical coordinating body -- at least not yet.  In my eyes, ICANN still carries some weighty governmental baggage that it (for want of a better word) is trying to 'privatize' -- an effort I applaud. (However, the Netopian in me thinks ICANN meets that challenge best when it displays a certian, vague  level of deference to due process and civil liberties issues that true NGO's are free to ignore.)

My second concern is that this election has been proceeded by almost two years of formal and informal dialogue regarding the role of individual users in ICANN.   It just seems prudent for ICANN to make sure that the dual tracks to the ballot aren't (mis)perceived as a heavy thumb on the scales. 

No one respects the ICANN staff more than I, but this seems to me to be a case where a little 'fuzzy deference' should temper the staff's faithfulness to the Board's resolution. 

Thanks again.

Dennis Schaefer
Marblehead MA USA

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy