Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: open mind
Date/Time: Fri, November 10, 2000 at 3:01 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: questions and concerns to IOD and ICANN

thoughts (pro and contra) concerning IOD application: 
1.) I DO understand ICANN's concerns why IOD wants to hold the registry AND the registar all alone, at least for the first year. That sounds again like another monopoly, even more - it sounds that IOD wants to get ALL the revenue within the first year. I probably understand why (Mr. Ambler and Co. needs that money and will eventually use it to upgrade existing hardware as well as staff to be compatible) BUT I wonder if that will do so good to the entire internetcommunity if there is ONLY ONE place to register .web (assuming a lot want to register .web after it will become public).
2.) I do NOT understand ICANN's respective concerns about the "small pool of talents" and the lack amount of professional IOD staff compared to other applicants. IOD is right now successfully registering .web domains in their "borders", and it works much easyer and better for us, the consumers, compared to NSI and others ( just try to change an DNS information with NSI ). At that point, IOD does fulfill their services without any problems and does not need right now millions of more qualified staff. This would surely change if .web is awarded to IOD, AND I do believe that IOD will upgrade their staff and capabilities accordingly and quick. I would not either at that point hire an army of staff without knowing if I have enough work for them. So - that should not be a criteria against a decision for IOD. Mr. Ambler wants to make money like everybody and in order to do so IOD has to have the right tools what includes staff. I am sure Mr. Ambler and Co. are smart enough to foresee that and will be properly prepared. If the base (.web) to make money is granted, they will and can invest - so, if IOD would be granted .web -there is no question that there will be done everything neccessary to run this registry perfectly.
Thanks for listening - more to come
Alexander Evdokimov

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy