Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: saskia
Date/Time: Fri, November 10, 2000 at 3:57 PM GMT (Fri, November 10, 2000 at 4:57 PM CET)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Comment on your first thought

According to IOD the reason for not letting other registrars in earlier is to properly develop and test their RRP system so that the stability of the registry and the internet isn't yeopardized.

The time period isn't quite 1 year anymore since IOD answered this to ICANN (it's 4-6 months):

"Image Online Design has already begun work on an implementation of the Registry-Registrar Protocol (RRP) and had expected to take up to 6 months to complete development prior to a testbed period. However, public comments to the ICANN message board suggest consensus. Specifically, that the period when external registrars are unable to process .Web registrations be as short as possible. Therefore, Image Online Design has accellerated development of its RRP implementation, and expects to begin a testbed within 30 to 60 days after entry into the root servers. [...] The length of the test-bed has not yet been determined, and depends on the results of the testing. We anticipate that 3 to 4 months is a reasonable time frame for thorough testing."

The ICANN staff response to this was:

"...an attempt to so significantly revise a registry so soon after launch would be a serious stability problem."

So, first IOD gets criticized for the long delay before other registrars can compete (with IOD). Then when they listen to this "consensus" at the ICANN message board and promises to reduce the delay they get criticized for yeopardizing the stability.

I think that IODs answer shows:

1) that IOD is listening to the internet community (to comments on the ICANN message board). I can't say the same about the other applicants.

2) that IOD is indeed committed to get competition between registrars (including themselves) in the new .web gTLD. They are, as I believe, right now working very hard to reduced the timeframe from 1 year to 4-6 months.

3) but WITHOUT yeopardizing the stability of the registry and the internet. They DID say 4-6 months, NOT 1-2 weeks.

Håkan Hansson
Programbyrån AB

Håkan Hansson
Programbyrån AB
Sweden

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy