Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: mystwoman
Date/Time: Sat, November 11, 2000 at 12:31 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Is ICANN trying to be the Alan Greenspan of the web?

Can someone explain to me why generation of more tlds are not operationally sound when people launch so many websites every day? I think ICANN may only try to shut the barn door after the horses have left the stable. While it may be an accretion of their self-interest to sustain influence by withholding gtld approvals, weren't they convened to sustain and groom development, not rope it to the tides of current fashion? Aren't these trade and business magazines filled with profitable successful companies who didn't accept the prevailing wisdon of icann't and went and made split-stock entities happen anyway?  Is ICANN trying to be the Alan Greenspan of the web?

Are there statistics on how much rest estate is added to the conglomeration of online content every day? With so many telcos and web consulting firms and expansion companies poised to assist anyone looking to make a internet enterprise happen, why are we waiting for a set of commandments to be struck down in thunder and lightning? It is my opinion the web doesn't wait for cautious uber-approvals, what happens if people steal the ideas and structure as framed in an application and gets launched before ICANN distends from the quagmire? How competitive is that?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy