Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: mdo
Date/Time: Sat, November 11, 2000 at 7:02 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V4.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: WARNING!  General-purpose TLDs, What for?????

Whats the benefit of general-purpose TLDs other then a guaranteed and immidiate winfall for all ICANN registrars.  It is clear to me that ICANN is not interested in evolving the internet into something which will enhance the user experience by taking the more logical route of approving specific TLDs like .sports or .restaurants. 

Its a comman sense issue with the writing on the wall. 
1.More TLDs, more money for registrars.

2.Who funds ICANN, the registrars.

3.Sure there were new board members elected by the public, but they are not allowed to represent us, voice our concerns, and vote on new TLDs.

4.General-purpose TLDs don't solve anything, they only create an instent winfall for all registrars by causing entrepreneurs and corporations to duplicate there existing domains in the new TLDs. This will also open the flood gates for further trademark issues.

5. The public doesn't benefit from general-purpose TLDs, it just makes things more confusing.

6. Whats the difference between .COM, .WEB, .BIZ, .INFO, .SITE, and .HOME, thats right nothing because they are all generally the same. So doesn't it make more sense to consolidate them all into one and leave it at .com? Isn't it less confusing?

7. I can go on and on but let me cut to the chase THE REALISTIC SOLUTION TO ALL OF THIS IS TO CREATE A MULTILINGUAL DNS SYSTEM WHICH ALLOWS FOR THE REGISTRATION OF THE EXISTING TLDs (.COM.NET.ORG)IN ANY LANGUAGE. IF THIS CAN BE ACHIEVED IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY MULTIPLY THE DOMAIN SPACE. THE REGISTRARS BENEFIT, AND FINALLY EVERYONE ELSE OUTSIDE OF NORTH AMERICA CAN BENEFIT TO!

8. GENERAL-PURPOSE TLDs MAKE NO SENSE AND IT IS THE INFLUENCE OF  REGISTRARS ON ICANN TO MOVE IN THIS DIRECTION BECAUSE OF THE INSTANT WINFALL.

9. WE CAN TALK AS MUCH AS WE WANT IN HERE BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS WE HAVE NO INFLUENCE ON ICANN AND THIS HAS BEEN MADE CLEAR TO US.  GREED AND MONEY INFLUENCE!

Once these general-purpose TLDs are released for registration I predict that 45+% of these domains will be duplication of by existing owners of names registered in .com.net.org.  This is why there is a sunrise period to allow existing trademark holders to register first and to allow the registrars to cash in instantly.  This isn't a solution its a winfall for all registrars.  The public sure doesn't benefit and entrepreneurs and corporations are forced to pay double the monthly fees for basically the same thing!  Wake Up People!!  

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy