Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory W. Krajewski
Date/Time: Sat, November 11, 2000 at 10:18 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: I disagree with you.......YOUR WRONG SIR....

Sir, I have read all your threads you have posted very carefully...

You say:

>>>By using broad generic TLDs nothing will change and the existing problem is just amplified.<<<

The problem has been lack of available domain space in the popular dot com gTLD...For if you just have one popular gTLD, what will happen to the usefulness of the other gTLD's???  Dot biz will NOT cut it....As not everyone is a .BIZ...consumers (in my opinion) are looking for a generic (or as I call them "universal" gTLD")

Your other comment:

>>>.com and .web are two of the same with the same purpose.  So whats the sense of .web then to replicate .com.  This will no doubt drive existing .com domain owners to purchase the same in .web<<<<

That is a false notion (and a dangerous one), for if gTLD's ultimately become Trademark's themselves, then you limit the available use of quality domains...A "TM" only internet doesn't invite others (who do not have the means to pay for a global TM), or open up the available domain space. 

Furthermore, it was never meant to be that as a DOT COM owner that you had to buy the dot net, and dot org version ...Guess who masterminded that Marketing Scheme??? (Read email below)

So when we talking about "having to" that denotes, choice, not actual circumstance!!

Check out the email I got just this morning:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dear Gregory,

You've registered your .COM address, but have you registered
matching .NET and .ORG addresses?

Your .COM Web address is your online identity. It represents
who you are and what you stand for to all the people that
visit your Web site. And net savvy opportunists know that
the easiest way to mislead someone else's customers is to
register their .COM name with a .NET or .ORG extension.

For a limited time only, you can get a matching .NET and .ORG
address for your .COM address from Network Solutions for only
$10 each. That's a savings of almost 70% off the regular price!

This promotion is only available through this special email
offer, so protect your online identity today! Click here
http://offer.networksolutions.com/go/d/of10/new/FINDOUT/
to find out if your matching .NET and .ORG addresses are
available and secure them today.

Sincerely,

Network Solutions(R)
A VeriSign(R) Company

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Think about it...Why have the 1-800 phone #'s been increased to
1-888, and 1-877 ???  Why aren't TM owners screaming about the influx of these phone numbers...Aren't 1-800 phone numbers used in the same way domain names are used???...To make it simple to find a website (in that particular gTLD)...or to find a company via telephone (1-800)

REALITY:

Yes, TM owners need protection (UDRP, IOD's plan for TM owners to request domains be put on "hold", voluntary withdrawl by registrant), if it is a domain name that requires it (Izopod.com for example as opposed to Business.com)

...Generic gTLD owners who paid excessive amounts of money for dot com's knew what they were doing (and the funny thing is, that because of the scarcity in dot com names those prices skyrocketed--this here is one reason to UPLOAD 6 to 10 gTLDs)...They were trying to use their capital (VC money) in a way to increase the likelyhood people would be able to find their websites...This is artificial help when were talking about generic domains, meaning the "generic" word was branded already for them...They did not establish goodwill (in the word itself) and that is why there is such angst out there against dot web...(in my opinion)

It is obvious to me words, like "consumer confusion" or "protecting investments", are being used in PRESS RELEASES to SCARE ICANN into thinking new generic new TLD's that would compete with DOT COM should not be uploaded...I am sure P&G would like to have the only popular "Toothpaste" gTLD (however this gives rise to unfair advantage)

ICANN:  Upload 6 to 10 gTLD's....There was consenus on this issue.  I would kindly direct you to the WB-c group findings (that fact can't be denied as it is in there record!!)

Hope that helps clear things up!!

Gregory W. Krajewski
gkrajews@mato.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy