Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: watchdog
Date/Time: Sat, November 11, 2000 at 10:22 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Non .web name holder about IOD

I've never filed a domain name under the .web tld so my interest is the improvement of the internet and in fair play and justice.

Mr. Ambler and IOD have demonstrated the ability and the stability to run the .web registry. They are already doing so.

Anyone with any business sense knows financing the venture if the TLD is granted is not a problem for any company awarded the tld so all are on common ground there.

As far as technical capabilities . . . If you have the money . . . Guess what . . . You can hire the best. Therefore all are on equal ground there.

Where I find fault with the IOD proposal is in keeping the exclusivity for any period of time. Essentially you have had it for 4 years. Not enough? Opening it up to competition would water down the ICANN Board's ability to criticize the application.

Overall there is no one more qualified or more deserving of the registry for .web than IOD. In the sense of fair play and fair business practices awarding it to any other registry is ridiculous. It will not go unnoticed.

ICANN is in a unique political position. A government agency can usually get away with almost anything because they deal with a misinformed public and keep it that way on purpose.

ICANN you have to deal with people who are not sheep and are not blind to your efforts to take rights away from individuals on the behalf of Large Corporations.

WIPO has been your tool for this too long as well. There are Crusaders and Fanatics on the web. The two toughest opponents you can ever have. If you feel they are against you unfairly just examine the decisions made by your board and show where you have protected individuals rights over that of large corporations. You haven't and can't show this.

Unless your board quits playing these types of games you won't be around very long. You can bet that those posting on this forum will be here long after ICANN and WIPO are just old jokes that people tell about the Internet before it became civilised.      

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy