Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: wiredz
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 9:45 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: I am happy to hear that ICANN Staff and the Evaluation Team say no to IODesign

Fabrizio Coppola wrote the following in the ICANN forum:

>Further on, some special merits of IOD, such as
>running a FUNCTIONING registry that is READY to go into
>the A-root server, have not been considered in the review!

Unfortunately, all the so-called registrations taken by IODesign are only pre-registrations, and their so-called functioning registry only has 1 name server, ns.iodesign.com. Also, don't forget that IODesign is planning to charge an overpriced $15, when NSI Registry in the height of its monopoly, charged only $6. Afilias on the other hand plans to charge $5.95 which is even cheaper than NSI Registry, and the good thing is Afilias will not recognize the pre-registrations taken by IODesign.

This is because a new TLD should be new and start afresh. Dot Web is a new TLD, not an existing one, therefore it should start afresh. Please ICANN board, show us your credibility by selecting Afilias.

>This are merit that Afilias does not even dream of
>(they only have a good project ON PAPER).

Mr Coppola, you forget this vital thing - Those who have a good project on paper, certainly will be able to implement it well. On the other hand, just look at IODesign's application - I kept telling all of you it sucked but you refused to believe, but now I am sure you have to after ICANN published its report. Since IODesign's application (on paper) sucked, their implementation will certainly suck. BTW, this is what I learnt when I studied computer science at University of Sourthern Califonia, and Dr Jon Postel was my lecturer at that time.

Believe me, I think it is better for you show your support to Afilias like me.

Of course, if you keep supporting IODesign, we all know why - It is because you pre-registered a domain with them for $35, and you would lose $35 if they didn't get .Web. Get a life, will you - Even the IANA and Dr Jon Postel never gave IODesign permission.

See the Memorandum of COurt Decision IOD v IANA at the url below published at ICANN Web site.

http://www.icann.org/tlds/info1/iod-v-iana.pdf

The judge ruled in favor of IANA, and IOD lost misrably. What surprises me is IOD lied in the ICANN TLD Forum (now closed) that Dr Jon Postel gave it permission, but the court documents say differently.

I hope that helped and I await Mr Ambler to reply.

--Eugene Kang

Link: IOD v. IANA and Jon Postel

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy