Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: first1
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 6:46 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.75 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Do you have a choice?

Do you have a choice not to use Microsoft in todays world?

Do you think if Apple had a 50% market share Microsoft would be able to sell WIN98 for $300.00 or Office2000 for $500.00?

Internal competition is good...it helps R&D, but a monopoly dictates the price you will pay.....either in dollars or customer service.

Who knows, if Apple had 50% market share or if there were three or four or five players...the R&D involved in the industry would be much greater than if one company was making all or 98% of the money!

My experience with the big hitters in the domain industry is when they are small they compete with price, customer service, inovation, integrity, reliability...etc. When they become giants in the industry all those are overshadowed by profit and how to squash the competition not how to make the service better!

NSI never had good service...even with the so called competition at the register level, NSI service is worse than ever. When they were a monopoly they charged me $119.00 per domain name for two years. I dont think IODs $35.00 is unreasonable since NSI, Register, most CORE members, IDR....."lets say 80% of the registrars" charge $35.00 or more for registration and a two year minimum "Thats $70.00 per domain"

Now that Verisign owns GreatDomains and Register owns Afternic there is a multi billion dollar conflict of interest for two of the biggest players of the Afilias cartel......All generic terms will be held hostage for the aftermarket just like NSI is holding over a million domains for future auction. You wont have a chance for any good domains after the sundown period. Don't be fooled.          

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy