Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: marks
Date/Time: Mon, November 13, 2000 at 3:55 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Results of Top Ten Domain Name Survey on MSNBC- #1 .xxx - #6 .kids

The general web community and consumers voted for the top ten domain names a short while ago on an MSNBC survey. I find it poor decision or policy making that ICANN feels the #1 choice .xxx isn't on their probable list as well as #6 .kids. The one thing most of us know is that the consumer is always right, regardless of what we like or what ICANN perceives as correct. There is a definite need to have categories or channels for restricted content too, so as to make the internet easier for the general web community. When we're setting up and operating e-commerce sites for the web it's currently really a nightmare because you are getting the wrong audience for restricted content sites, which I know all too well from personal experience. I'd have to say without a doubt, thumbs up to .xxx and .kids. Still can't believe ICANN policy on these two, so outdated and so unrealistic to the ones that spend hours everyday making the web what it is today. I guess no one on the board has ever developed web sites or an internet business.
Here's the MSNBC results;

1. .xxx (1783 votes) 
2. .web (1668 votes) 
3. .sex (1281 votes) 
4. .biz (1115 votes) 
5. .inc (997 votes) 
6. .kids (947 votes) 
7. .news (825 votes) 
8. .fam (594 votes) 
9. .shop (536 votes) 
10. .info (471 votes) 

For starters we could have used these 10 yesterday, plus dozen more, so to speak. But that's another subject!

Mark Burns/CEO
AuctionPort.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy