Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: rlangsford
Date/Time: Mon, November 13, 2000 at 7:12 AM GMT (Mon, November 13, 2000 at 12:12 AM PDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: I concur with Mr. Kaneko

This initial batch of new TLD's is about proving new ideas and concepts, in the case of Restricted Commercial Groups, about proving whether this concept works within the structure of the Domain Naming System. Mr. Kaneko believes that "...in view of travel and tourism becoming so commonplace in our life today, there is a clear need for the industry to maintain its quality and integrity through adequate governance of the TLD..." I agree. There have been many documented cases of travel scams on the Internet. Granting an industry operated .travel domain would provide an excellent proof of concept study which, if successful, will be of great benefit to the general public. Folks who trust IATA will make bookings in confidence on the .travel websites. If the concept proves successful, there is nothing to prevent another trusted travel industry group from applying for .tvl, .tour or the like during the next broader round of TLD grants. The results of the IATA study will doubtless be found useful by other trade industry groups who may similarly wish to increase consumer confidence.

It is my feeling that ICANN should require from all new registry operators periodical public reports on various aspects of their first year's operations (technical, financial, legal...) so that others may learn from their successes and failures.

Disclosure: I have no financial interest in anything related to the travel industry. I do take the wife and kids on a couple travel trips each year so do have an interest in dealing with online travel industry representatives I can trust.

--Rich Langsford
rlangsford@uswest.net

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy