Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: shawn
Date/Time: Tue, November 14, 2000 at 7:03 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.04 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: I Want .Shop!

I am so disappointed in how things are shaping up so far! Is the fix in yet?

Name-Space shut out - so much for Pioneers. I was really hoping that .shop would be one of the new names chosen by ICANN. It truly would be great for ecommerce. Simply type in (i.e.) car, food, gourmet, etc, and you know you would be getting a "shop" which sold what you were looking for. With .com you weren't sure what you would get! The same goes for .net. The public wants .shop - so why not give it to us? It was popular enough to be on the MSNBC top 10 list. 

.shop would be a big winner with the public, however from all the posts I have read it appears ICANN has little interest in what "Joe Public" wants, and is fully enamored with any TLD that "Big Business" wants i.e. Affilias, etc.

The public wants .shop, .kids, .sex, and many other generic TLDs. We don't want to wait another 10 years either. We also want competition in the marketplace. .per, .co-op, and some of the others proposed are not enough. We just went through a new area code change where I live. The reason is their are not enough numbers to go around. The same applies to the internet - we need new names! Give us some real names like .shop - it's what we the public ask of you ICANN.

Shawn Kelly

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy