Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: ChrisT
Date/Time: Wed, November 15, 2000 at 3:47 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: ICANN Please Reconsider .shop!

I have been away from my computer for a week, and I am confused and disappointed by what I see now that I am "back."

I find it very hard to believe that the ICANN Staff did not recommend any of the .shop applications.  It struck me as one of the easier names to choose for ICANN.  It was in the MSNBC Top Ten, it made more sense than any of the others as far as truly differentiating the e-commerce space on the Web, and it was one which was easy to understand globally.

What happened?

I read all three of the applicatuions for .shop, and while I commented during the last round that I felt the Commercial Connect application was better than the rest, I certainly didn't envision NONE of them receiving consideration.

None of these applications are so off-base that they couldn't be negotiated on the right track with ICANN.

I strongly recommend that the ICANN Board of Directors review and re-think this issue before making any decisions.  Such a TLD could genuinely make a credible and significant difference in how consumers "shop" on the web.  None of the other proposed names come close.

Thank You,
Chris Torrington

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy