Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: huguesdb
Date/Time: Thu, November 16, 2000 at 1:30 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Some arithmetic

If the quote is correct, then 5 staff members and 8 advisors spent one month each on a total of 47 applications.

That is 13 work months and an AVERAGE of six days per application.

There must be a gross error somewhere because I cannot imagine that a decent review is done in that short a time frame. However, from the many comments on this board on 'disagreements' between the applicants and the staff review, it may be the case!!!

Then, neglecting any overhead costs, applicants paid over US$ 8'000 per day for the review.

Again there must be an error in the numbers. Assuming the process definition took 12 working months (3 persons for 4 months, for example), that is still US$ 4'000.- per day.

But, it is probable that certain applications took much longer, others less time. Lets say the more complex ones took 12 days, the simpler ones 3 days. It means that certain applicants paid US$ 8'000 per review day, others US$ 2'000.

Intuitively, I would have expected, for a 50'000 fee and based on cost recovery, between 50 to 70 work days on each application. To put that amount of time in a month one would require two persons per application - i.e. a team of 80 to 100 persons.

I would not count the time it takes for the next phase as it may be limited to 4 to 10 applicants and its cost would be recovered on what the TLD operators will pay ICANN.

Makes you think...

Hugues Du Bois
Switzerland

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy