Return to wgc Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: kodo
Date/Time: Sat, April 15, 2000 at 10:22 PM GMT (Sat, April 15, 2000 at 5:22 PM EST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: The popularity of .club

I can sympathize with you cause. But, I believe that what most people are thinking of is the "initial testbed" of 6 - 10 names that is being recommended by Working Group C. After the 6-10 names are tested and are proven to work technically, legally, and ethically... then this will pave the way for new names like ".club" to come into existence. Nobody is doubting the merit of a name like .club, but, in comparison to names like .web, or .shop yours is not as widely known or marketable by businesses.

Once the test-bed period is over then it would be feasible for names like .club to exist. But, the demand from the general public is not there yet. I am sure that clubs and organizations around the English-speaking world would benefit from the addition of a domain named .club. My suggestion would be to continue your interest in the process of new Top Level Domains, and become involved in ICANN. Make your opinion known, and then, when the test-period is over state your case clearly and persistently until .club is added as a new domain.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy