ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Stop that.

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Stop that.
  • From: Andrea Cocito <andrea.cocito@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:16:29 +0200
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Hallo,

The abuse carried on by verisign should be stopped immediately
for a number of reasons:

Technical issues:
a) Breaks the policy of most MTA to reject mails from unexisting domains
(this scaled up spam and virus propagation by a factor of 10, I can provide
the statistics of mailservers hosting several thousands mailboxes as a
proof, the total SMTP traffic at our routers scaled by by a factor of 3)
b) Breaks any internal/localized policy about bad hostnames in http, our
users expect our proxy to respond in the local language for mistyped
addressess (and also do a similarity search on the sites most accessed
through the same proxy)
c) Breaks the way error messages are received by mistyped addresses in
email: our users expect our server to bounce the message with a comment
in local language explaining that the wrong part is in the domain name etc.

Then the moral and political considerations:
a) Is a formal abuse: verisign "claims" the ownership of domains they
have not registered
b) It's cybersquatting: you mistype www.google.com and land on a page with
verisign's logo. This is a form of abusive advertising.
c) It's privacy violation: verisign can collect sensitive information about the
part of the URLs beyond the hostname, the sender address of the emails,
the destination address, etc, etc.
d) Even if the thing was used for "good" reasons it is being done by a private
company, without having asked FIRST the opinion of the internet community,
acting as if Verisign owned the two TLDs, breaking any rule of competition,
causing a direct damage to the internet community for a private interest.

It's disgusting, and I sincerely hope icann takes some serious action against
this abuse, where "serious" is not taking more time or hiding behind words
like "we are monitoring community reaction".

The community opinion is clear and straight if you can read any mailing list
or newsgroup around: this is a criminal action and must be stopped. NOW.

Regards,

A.