ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Feedback on Verisign's new service

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Feedback on Verisign's new service
  • From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:27:04 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

To date Verisign's change has cost us thousands of dollars in lost labor as we had to change the code in our mail servers and anti-spam software. We have still yet to find a reliable and quick mechanism for determining whether a server doesn't exist--a critical function in the anti-spam market. In addition Versign's change has already caused user confusion and support problems with non-web-based applications.

We firmly believe that Verisign needs to stop providing this so-called service. If there is a problem with user's typing in bad web addresses, then it can be addressed where it belongs--in the browser. In addition we recommend that, now that everyone has had a chance to see the full implications of root-level wildcards, other registrars currently doing root-level wildcards be given some amount of time in which they can transition away from them. The only reason it wasn't a problem up to now is that their presence was too small for people to realize the impact. Now that we understand the issue, it is clear that root-level wildcards are a bad idea.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/ Next Generation Spam Defense

everyone else's.